I decided to take a step back in time and re-read one of my many favorite fifth grade books. This one being, Twilight by Stephanie Meyer. Now that I have gotten older I view this book in a different way that I did three years ago. I am also willing to dissect a problem that I think most people ignore because they just dont think it's important. At the beginning of this book, has anyone ever noticed Isabella's and her fathers relationship? Well, I have! So far, Isabella Swan is the new girl after moving from Phoenix, her hometown to Forks where her father currently resides. May I just add that before her mother let her live with her father she solemnly said to her, "You don't have to do this." But in her own free will, Bella replied lying straight through her teeth "I want to go." I believe that she feels awkward and uncomfortable living with her father by her attitude and body language towards him being that it's been a couple of years since she last visited him. I believe that Bella, deep inside still has feelings for her dad emotionally but is hiding from it.
I mean come on! First, she secretly calls her father by his first name "Charlie" in her head but denies it and refuses to do so to his face, why may this be? This made me wonder what kind of father-daughter relationship they really have? Most teenagers don't really think about what name they should call their dad. I also know that it would be considered rude now a days if you called a parent by their first name, aside from joking. Then, as a gift for moving in with her father he surprised her with a red Chevy truck, which I find very exciting. Now, I am not trying to just blame this on Bella, Charlie contributes as a factor to their awkward relationship also. Bella even stated that her father was not comfortable with expressing his emotions out loud and that she possibly inherited this trait from him. I find it odd. Could it just be that they are not used to seeing each other a lot so there just going through an awkward stage? I sure hope so because this is not how a father-daughter relationship should work. Even if it is awkward at first, they should learn to get over it and get pass that.
Also, I find it intriguing how Bella says that one of the best things about Charlie was that he doesn't like to hover over her like her mom does. For example, as she was unpacking her clothes and getting settled into her new room, Charlie did not come in and interrogate as she would expect her mom to do. This could mean one of many things. Maybe, she doesn't want her father's guidance or him up in her personal life. Either way, it shows the lack of confidence and parent to child love in their relationship. This made it clear to me that she was not expecting any "love" or "affection" from Charlie. Is that a good or bad sign/thing? Where could their relationship really be headed?
In conclusion, I anticipate to see massive improvements in Bella's and Charlie's father-daughter relationship. I will continue to track and observe their relationship and stay updated.
No comments:
Post a Comment